A good way to stay sane while in quarantine is by staying active and working out. Most of us these days are doing backyard or online workouts. Make sure you are working out properly with these 5 nutrition tips!
Working out in the afternoon or evening? Here’s the benefit of each:
- AM workout: Working out before breakfast may help the body burn fat more effectively and it helps you focus.
- PM workout: Working out reduces stress, anxiety, and depressive symptoms that may keep you awake at night, so it can help you relax so you have an easier time drifting off to sleep at night, just avoid vigorous activity for at least one hour before bedtime.
Be sure to eat your big healthy meals 3-4 hours prior to the start of your workout. This food will fuel your body and give it the energy it needs! Don’t forget to eat those quarantine snacks 1-3 hours before your workout as well. Working out in the morning? Some like to work out on an empty stomach upon arising and then fill up their body with the right nutrients after while others prefer to eat a light breakfast before their morning workout routine. Listen to your body and check-in with yourself throughout your morning. Feel drained and tired? Try eating a light breakfast containing carbs before working out.
What to Eat Pre Workout:
Eating carbohydrates prior to your workout can improve your performance and allow your body to do longer or more in intensive workouts. If you plan to do a workout in the morning, eat a light breakfast or sports drink to fuel your body but not overload it. A good mix of healthy fats, protein, and carbohydrates. Our favorite pre-workout meals are a piece of toast with almond butter, banana slices, cinnamon, and a pinch of salt. Also, try out an egg on a piece of avocado toast with a scoop of hummus on top or a breakfast smoothie with protein powder!
What to Eat Post Workout:
After your workout, help your muscles recover properly by eating a meal packed full of proteins and healthy carbohydrates within thirty minutes of finishing your workout. Eating this directly after working out will help replenish your glycogen stores and refuel your body. A protein shake, protein bar, or a protein-dense meal is great for muscle building and recovery.
Try to stay hydrated throughout the entire day for the best results. We recommend drinking before and after workouts and even during your workouts. Listen to your body and try to drink consistently, not just chugging your whole water bottle. Electrolyte drinks or powders can be a great way to replace the electrolytes lost in sweat. Get the Skratch Labs Strawberry Lemonade Hydration Mix in our Welcome Kit, COMING SOON!
OUR FAVORITE QUARANTINE WORKOUT STYLES:
- Outdoor activities: backpacking, fast walks, surfing, paddling, swimming, hiking, running, and tennis.
- HIIT- High-Intensity Interval Training: Short periods of intense anaerobic exercise, and short recovery periods in between (includes Crossfit).
- Weight Lifting: Strength training workouts with lower reps but more weight.
- Barre: High Reps of small range movements.
- Body Weighted Workouts & Resistance Training: Strength training and balance building exercises that can be done with little to no equipment.
- Yoga Sculpt: High-intensity yoga that involves resistance interval training and cardio.